Rugby league: NZ Warriors rookie sensation Reece Walsh fined without conviction over Gold Coast cocaine arrest

NZ Warriors star Reece Walsh has been fined AU$400 and placed on a AU$500 nine-month good behavior bond, after his arrest in the Gold Coast last month.

Walsh, 19 was filmed being detained by local police outside a Surfer's Paradise nightclub and was found in possession of a bag of cocaine.

The NRL subsequently fined the fullback AU$5000, suspended him for two games and ordered Walsh to undergo an alcohol counselling programme.

Walsh said nothing as he entered the Southport Magistrates Court on Monday morning, before pleading guilty to drug possession and contravening a police direction, with no conviction recorded.

"If you expect the benefits of being a talented footballer and being in the limelight, that means you also need to accept the responsibilities," said court magistrate Robert Kilner.

Defence lawyer Corey Cullen argued Walsh's offence was a one-off incident, he was in a stable relationship with a young child and he had no previous convictions.

"I'm just really embarrassed and ashamed of what happened," said Walsh, after emerging from court. "I'm going to repay family, friends, the club and the fans that have all stuck by me. 

"I will work really hard to bounce back from this and make sure something like this never happens again."

The day after his arrest, Walsh and Warriors chief executive Cam George fronted media the next day, with Walsh admitting he made a mistake that he regretted.

"I was told by some officers last night to move on," he said. "I didn’t move on, and that led to me getting arrested and taken back to the police station.

"Once I got back to the police station, I was searched and I was in possession of a small bag of cocaine, which I had some of during the night.

"No-one else is involved in this - it's solely on me and I put my hand up. I should never have done it.

"It's a mistake that I’ve made, I’m aware of that and I'm really remorseful."

The talented playmaker will miss the opening three rounds of the 2022 season, after also copping a one-game suspension for his role in a brawl in the final game of the 2021 campaign against Gold Coast Titans.