Springboks star Elton Jantjies has been released from custody after being arrested at OR Tambo International Airport in Johannesburg today.
The 31-year-old had been on holiday with his family in Turkey for a week, but returned to South Africa on a flight from Dubai without them, where the alleged incident occurred.
Jantjies' agent, James Adams, confirmed the player's release and said it was alleged that a light had been damaged inside of the plane.
"We believe that the incident has been unnecessarily heightened," Adams added.
"Our client, however, remains compliant with the investigation process and will address this matter with the seriousness it beckons."
SA Rugby confirmed that it was aware of the arrest.
"We've been informed of Elton's arrest, but we are still in the process of gathering more information and can't say anything at this stage," SA Rugby spokesperson told @rugby365.
Police spokesperson Colonel Athlenda Mathe told News24 "a 31-year-old man has been arrested at the OR Tambo International Airport for malicious damage to property".
"The man was arrested upon arrival at ORTIA this [Sunday] morning at 08.50.
"The suspect was on an international flight from Dubai to SA when he allegedly damaged property belonging to the airline."
Jantjies has been capped 41 times by the Springboks, amassing 309 points over a 10-year international career since making his debut in 2012.
He currently plays for the NTT Red Hurricanes in Japan and had recently attended a Springboks training camp.