Rugby League: Former NRL star Jarryd Hayne found guilty of sexual assault at NSW District Court

After eight days of deliberation, a jury has found former NRL star Jarryd Hayne guilty of two counts of sexually assaulting a woman at Newcastle in 2018.

Hayne, 35, had been fighting two charges of sexual intercourse without consent on the night of the NRL Grand Final and may now face prison time for the assault.

When the verdict was read out, Hayne hugged wife Amellia and mother Jodie.

The Parramatta Eels legend was originally convicted of the charges in March 2021 and sentenced to three years and eight months in prison, with an earliest release of January 2025.

Eleven months later, his appeal was upheld by the Court of Criminal Appeal, his conviction was overturned and a fresh trial ordered.

The latest trial lasted 11 days, with the six-man, six-woman jury hearing that Hayne had stopped at the woman's house in Newcastle, before leaving for Sydney.

The woman said she did not want to have sex, after she found out he left a taxi outside, waiting for him to return.

Hayne's defence insisted the sex was consensual, claiming the woman texted him afterwards, wanting him to stay.

Hayne said the pair had chatted on social media for two weeks before their meeting, and the woman had sent sexual and suggestive texts. 

Jarryd Hayne in action for Parramatta Eels
Jarryd Hayne in action for Parramatta Eels. Photo credit: Getty Images

The prosecution claimed, after the sex acts, Hayne noticed the woman was bleeding, so he cleaned himself up and left. The court heard the woman suffered two lacerations during the acts.

Hayne led Parramatta to the 2009 NRL Grand Final, where they lost to Melbourne Storm, later stripped of their crown for salary-cap infringements.

He played Rugby League World Cups for both Australia and Fiji, as well as starring for New South Wales at State of Origin.

In 2014, he left the NRL to pursue an American football career in the NFL, signing with San Francisco 49ers, but retired in 2016, joined the Fiji rugby sevens team, but was cut from the Rio Olympics gold medal squad.

Hayne returned to the Eels for the 2018 NRL season, but was not re-signed, after sexual assault allegations emerged.