Two-time champion Rafael Nadal has been included on the entry list for the Australian Open, after nearly a year out with injury, while Nick Kyrgios looks likely to miss the tournament in January.
Nadal, 37, has been out of action since injuring his hip flexor at the last Australian Open. The former world No.1 recently confirmed he would make his return at January's Brisbane International.
Australian Kyrgios, 28, has had an injury-blighted 2023, missing all four Grand Slams.
The 2022Wimbledon finalist has struggled with wrist, knee and foot injuries, and said last month "the stars would need to align" for him to be fit for the first major of the year. In theory, he could still receive a wildcard entry.
Defending champion and world No.1 Novak Djokovic will return, as he bids for a record-extending 11th Australian Open title and a 25th Grand Slam win overall. Longtime rival Nadal, who has won 22 majors, says 2024 will "probably" be his last year on tour.
Women's world No.1 Iga Swiatek and defending champion Aryna Sabalenka, the world No.2, will resume their rivalry, after both were confirmed in the line-up.
Meanwhile, former champions Naomi Osaka, Caroline Wozniacki and Angelique Kerber will return to Melbourne Park, after taking time away from the tour to have children.
Great Britain's Andy Murray, Cameron Norrie, Jack Draper, Katie Boulter and Jodie Burrage have all received a direct entry.
The Australian Open starts on January 14 and ends with the men's singles final on January 28.
Reuters