Football: Manchester United, Chelsea advance to FA Cup final four after thrilling quarter-final wins

Amad Diallo has scored deep in extra time, after Marcus Rashford made amends for a bad miss, to lift Manchester United to a breathless 4-3 victory over northwest rivals Liverpool and into the FA Cup semi-finals.

United's victory at Old Trafford kept alive their only hope of silverware this season and spoiled Liverpool's dreams of hoisting four trophies in manager Juergen Klopp's final campaign with the team.

Erik ten Hag's side will face Championship (second-tier) outfit Coventry City in the semis, while Chelsea will take on Manchester City, after their win over Leicester City.

Scott McTominay gave United a 10th-minute lead, but Liverpool turned the game on its head with goals three minutes apart from Alexis Mac Allister and Mohamed Salah before halftime.

Noni Madueke celebrates his goal for Chelsea.
Noni Madueke celebrates his goal for Chelsea. Photo credit: Getty Images

United poured on the pressure late in normal time and Antony spun in the box, before slotting home past two Liverpool players in the 87th minute - the Brazilian's first goal at Old Trafford in more than a year - to force extra time.

Harvey Elliott brought the 9000 travelling Liverpool fans to their feet in the 105th minute, when his long-range rocket deflected off Christian Eriksen's foot and between Harry Maguire's legs into the bottom corner.

Once again, 12-times FA Cup winners United - who are four places below Liverpool in an English Premier League season to forget - kept their foot on the gas.

Rashford, who had missed a sitter late in normal time, made it 3-3 in the 112th minute, calmly slotting a picture-perfect pass from McTominay into the bottom corner, before running to United's fans, where he was mobbed.

Then Alejandro Garnacho and Diallo charged up the field on a breakaway, after a Liverpool corner with Diallo firing home the winner in the 120th minute to a deafening roar from the Old Trafford faithful, leaving Klopp stunned on the sideline.

Diallo was then sent off, after receiving a second yellow card for his celebrations.

Earlier, Chelsea substitutes Carney Chukwuemeka and Noni Madueke scored stoppage-time goals to earn a thrilling 4-2 home victory over battling second-tier side Leicester City.

The match had everything needed for a classic cup tie, including end-to-end action, a missed penalty, a red card, a howler of an own goal and some sumptuous strikes.

Chelsea looked in full control at halftime, after goals from Marc Cucurella and Cole Palmer, although Raheem Sterling also had a somewhat feeble penalty saved by Jakub Stolarczyk's legs.

However, a horrible mistake from Chelsea's France defender Axel Disasi gifted Leicester a goal in the 51st minute, when his pass back from distance flew straight into his own goal.

Ten minutes later, Stephy Malvididi produced a stunning individual goal, dribbling and sidestepping Malo Gusto, before curling the ball into the top corner to put Leicester level.

With eight minutes added on, Chukwuemeka turned Cole's expert back flick into the net and Madueke looped home a brilliant shot from distance to make it four just before the final whistle.