ANZ, Kiwibank online banking services hit by new cyberattack

Just days after a major internet outage in Aotearoa hit both national and international traffic, multiple New Zealand websites and apps were again left unavailable for hours due to a new cyberattack.

The New Zealand Post and MetService websites were down, while both ANZ and Kiwibank reported issues with their services.

CERT NZ, the Government's cybersecurity agency, said it was aware of a DDoS attack targeting a number of New Zealand organisations.

"We are monitoring the situation and are working with affected parties where we can," the agency said in a tweet.

A DDoS attack is an attempt to disrupt internet access, caused typically by the overloading of the target resource. Generally perpetrators flood the attack victim from many different sources making it impossible to stop quickly.

Website DownDetector, which publishes error reporting for major websites, didn't show a general internet outage in New Zealand, meaning the outages affected specific targets.

And Vocus, which confirmed last week's outage was due to a DDoS attack against one of its customers, says it had no outages or issues to report.

ANZ and KiwiBank customers reported being able to log back into their accounts shortly before 1pm. By that time both the NZ Post and MetService websites were available again too.

Meanwhile Kiwibank has apologised to customers and thanked them for their patience and support.

This is the second major outage to hit the bank this week after customers on Monday were outraged at their inability to access core banking services.

"We're currently having intermittent issues with some services including internet banking, our app and website. We've identified the cause and are working hard to fix the issue. Our priority is continuity of service for our customers," a spokeperson said.

Many took to social media to vent their frustrations again.

"This is pathetic, how many times do people have to play the waiting game with constant issues happening at present," one wrote on the bank's Facebook page.

"I transferred money to my daughter, who needs this urgently this morning, hasn't received it yet? I am just about done with this bank."

Another complained about it happening three times in three days, saying it was "getting ridiculous".