Dramatic video shows moment Kiwi passenger's phone battery caught fire on flight

Video posted on social media shows panic following the moment a battery pack caught fire on a Ryanair aircraft in Barcelona.

The footage was posted on Instagram by Anthcarrio, who says he's "never seen so many people so scared". 

A portable charger being used with a mobile phone caught fire while the aircraft was still on the ground.

Passengers onboard the Ryanair flight said the owner of the battery pack was a New Zealander, but this hasn't been confirmed.

A spokesperson for Ryanair confirmed a full evacuation took place. 

"All passengers were safely evacuated back to the terminal and cabin crew dealt with the mobile phone. Ryanair worked to arrange a spare aircraft to re-accommodate these passengers with the minimum delay."

Battery packs are banned from being put in checked in luggage due to the risk of this sort of incident taking place in the cargo hold, where there's no one there to see it.

But passengers are allowed to keep them in their carry-on baggage.

Ryanair denies the device exploded but a passenger onboard the flight said it "blew up".