Jetstar is offering Kiwis return airfares for one-way prices in a new promotion, as competition with Air New Zealand heats up.
The 'return for free' sale launched in the early hours of Thursday morning and will run until 11:59pm on Friday, unless the special fares sell out first.
Passengers who book a one-way Starter fare as part of the promotion will get a return Starter fare for free.
Four international and nine domestic destinations are included in the sale, and the special fares will apply to flights departiing throughout the day.
The promotion is the latest move in an increasingly competitive domestic travel market.
In late February, Air NZ dropped its base regional and domestic fares to as low as $39. Less than a week later, Jetstar released 75,000 domestic fares starting from $25.
Examples of some of the 'return for free' airfares on offer:
- Christchurch to Sydney from $183
- Auckland to Rarotonga from $209
- Auckland to Dunedin from $85
- Wellington to Queenstown from $73
- Auckland to Melbourne (Tullamarine) from $205
- Auckland to Sydney from $194
- Christchurch to Gold Coast from $194
- Queenstown to Melbourne from $255
The offer only applies to selected flights, and Jetstar says travellers should check its website for terms or conditions.