As lockdown has left most of us longing to be somewhere else, the idea of travelling overseas to visit a beach seems almost unobtainable.
But, we can dream. And, in this case judge. That's what TripAdvisor's users have done, recently voting to choose the best beach in the world. But if you're hoping to go there on holiday soon, we've got bad news. Not only are none of the top ten beaches in New Zealand - the winning beach is in Australia.
From sweeping white sand and turquoise waters in tropical climates, to dramatic cliffs and pounding surf in some of the most secluded spots on Earth, the awards are based on the quality and quantity of reviews and ratings from Tripadvisor travelers over the past 12 months.
This year, Australia's Whitehaven Beach has taken the top spot.
"The remote Australian paradise, located in the heart of the Great Barrier Reef, is only accessible by boat, seaplane or helicopter and is lauded by travelers for its gorgeous soft white sand and postcard perfect turquoise water," TripAdvisor said in a statement announcing the winner.
Top 10 Beaches in the World:
1. Whitehaven Beach, Whitsunday Island, Australia
2. Santa Maria Beach, Cayo Santa Maria, Cuba
3. Baia do Sancho, Fernando de Noronha, Brazil
4. Grace Bay Beach, Providenciales, Turks and Caicos
5. Saint Pete Beach, Florida, United States
6. Turquoise Bay, Exmouth, Australia
7. Eagle Beach, Eagle Beach, Aruba
8. Spiaggia dei Conigli, Lampedusa, Italy
9. Ka'anapali Beach, Hawaii, United States
10. Baía dos Golfinhos, Praia da Pipa, Brazil
New Zealand did slightly better when it came to the best beaches in the South Pacific with 8th, 9th and 10th position on the list belonging to beaches in Aotearoa: Ohope, Kaiteriteri and Mt Maunganui beaches respectively.
Do you have a favourite beach in the world? Let us know. Head to our Newshub Travel Facebook page.