Air New Zealand has released the details on its reduced domestic schedule to operate for the duration of COVID-19 alert level 4.
The 48 hour grace period to get Kiwis home finishes just before midnight on Thursday, however the airline is pressing the Government to extend that by one day to get everyone home.
After that, Air NZ will operate a very limited domestic schedule, which can be used for essential travel only.
Customers who are booked to travel from Friday onwards will receive a cancellation email and their bookings will be held in credit.
Customers will have 12 months from the day their credit is processed to book a flight, and another 12 months to travel.
Those who are travelling during the lockdown will need to carry a letter to prove they are travelling for essential purposes.
Air New Zealand's alert level 4 domestic schedule
- Auckland-Christchurch: Two return services per week
- Auckland-Wellington: One return service per week
- Wellington-Christchurch: Two return services per week
- Wellington-Nelson: One return service per week
- Christchurch-Dunedin: One return service per week
If the rest of New Zealand has its alert level lowered, but Auckland remains at level 4, the following schedule will operate:
- Two return services per week: Monday & Tuesday
- One return service per week: Saturday, Sunday
- One return service per week: Saturday, Sunday, Monday & Tuesday
Customers throughout New Zealand with existing bookings for travel between August 17 and August 24 will be able change their booking with change fees and any fare difference waived through to August 31.