Aotearoa's move back to COVID-19 alert level 4 means there are major changes to operations at Auckland International Airport.
Air travel is restricted to only those needing to get home or travelling for other essential purposes.
International flights for arrivals into MIQ and from Rarotonga are still be operating, however flight schedules may be impacted by the alert level change so travellers are being advised to check their flight details with the airline.
Access to the domestic and international terminals is only open to passengers and retail is limited to essential items from a select number of general stores located at the airport. With no food or drink available on flights, passengers are advised to be prepared before making their way to the airport.
Processing of passengers is also likely to take longer due to the need for social distancing and both terminals have separate entry and exit doors.
Newshub reporter Madison Reidy tweeted a photo from inside Auckland Airport on Monday night, describing it as "packed" some hours before the 11:59pm move into alert level 4.
"People are escaping the city where a community case has been confirmed. Not much social distancing but a lot of anxious looking faces under those masks," she said.
COVID-19 alert level 4 at Auckland Airport
- Travellers should be prepared to have their travel itinerary and other documents checked at the door, and may be asked about their reason for travel.
- For travellers unable to catch their flight without assistance, one support person will be able to enter the terminal building.
- Travellers need to wear a mask on their flights and public transport to and from the airport, as well as when they are inside the terminal.
- All car parks, including Park & Ride, and pick up / drop off areas, will remain open.
- Contactless PayWave is an option on entry and exit for those preferring not to use the car park payment machines.
- Public transport, rideshare and taxis will still be available - masks must be worn on all of these options. The inter-terminal bus will operate until Thursday evening at which point the service will be reviewed.
- SkyBus will be suspending services until further notice at the completion of the last service on Thursday evening.