By Louis Charbonneau and Aziz El Yaakoubi
Morocco has ordered the United Nations to pull 84 international staff from its Western Sahara mission after accusing UN chief Ban Ki-moon of no longer being neutral in a conflict over the disputed territory.
The Moroccan government, however, reversed a previously announced decision to withdraw all of its troops from UN peacekeeping missions worldwide.
UN spokesman Stephane Dujarric told reporters that Morocco said the United Nations and the African Union have three days to remove 84 civilian staff from Western Sahara.
Dujarric said: "All of these measures would seriously impede the functioning" of the mission known as MINURSO, or the United Nations Mission for the Referendum in Western Sahara.
UN political affairs chief Jeffrey Feltman is due to brief the Security Council later on Thursday.
The controversy over Ban's comments is Morocco's worst dispute with the United Nations since 1991, when the body brokered a ceasefire to end a war over the Western Sahara and established the mission.
Rabat accused Ban last week of no longer being neutral in the conflict, criticising his use of the word "occupation" to describe Morocco's annexation of the region at the centre of a struggle since 1975, when it took over from colonial power Spain.
Earlier this month, Ban visited refugee camps in southern Algeria for the Sahrawi people, who say Western Sahara belongs to them and fought a war against Morocco until the 1991 ceasefire.
Their Polisario Front wants a referendum, including over the question of independence, but Rabat says it will only grant semi-autonomy.
Three of the people on the list submitted by the Moroccan mission to be withdrawn from MINURSO are the African Union while the rest are UN staff, the UN press department said.