A redback spider has caused the hospitalisation of an Australian tradesman after it bit him on his genitals.
The 21-year-old was in a portaloo on a building site in Sydney yesterday morning when the bite occurred.
While paramedics had been called to the scene, the man managed to drive himself to St George Hospital despite being in great discomfort.
The spider, which is native to Australia and closely related to the highly venomous black widow, is known to cause severe pain, sweating and muscle weakness when it bites.
About 2000 redback spider bites are recorded in Australia every year.