Teen girls guilty of Snapchat murder

  • 06/04/2016
Angela Wrightson, 39, was brutally murdered in her own home by two teenage girls (Daily Mail)
Angela Wrightson, 39, was brutally murdered in her own home by two teenage girls (Daily Mail)

The seven-week trial of a brutal murder of a woman in northern England by two teenage girls, who recorded it on photo-sharing app Snapchat, has come to an end.

Angela Wrightson, 39, died after a 13- and 14-year-old inflicted more than 100 injuries to her during a five-hour attack in her own home in Hartlepool, County Durham on December 8, 2014.

Pictures have been released of a bloody television set and spade that the girls used, as well as a printer and coffee table, according to the Daily Mail.

The teenage girls documented the killing by posting pictures, even selfies to Snapchat which they sent to their friends.

CCTV footage caught them laughing and giggling, after they came back to continue the brutal killing around 2am.

Both have been found guilty of murder having denied the offence at Leeds Crown Court. The jury took just over three hours to decide, the Daily Mail reports.

They will be sentenced on Thursday (local time).

Ms Wrightson used to buy the girls cigarettes and alcohol. They let themselves onto her property around 7:30pm on December 8 and began the attack.

Midway through they visited a friend, and listened to "high-energy rap music" before they returned to Ms Wrightson's house and proceeded to kill her.

Several pieces of evidence were given to the jury, including a Snapchat picture of Ms Wrightson with cuts to her head, CCTV footage of Ms Wrightson before the attack, and a Facebook phone call made to a friend during the attack, in which the friend reported hearing: "Go on [older girl]. Smash her head in. Bray her. F***** kill her."

The girls had been in local authority care.

Gerry Wareham of the Crown Prosecution Service said the girls showed lack of remorse.

"In our society it is hard to imagine that two girls of such a young age could be capable of such violence.

"Given the severity of their assault one would expect the girls to have shown a degree of remorse in the wake of her death," he said.