A two-year-old Australian boy had to fight for his life after being bitten three times by one of the world's deadliest snakes.
Eli Campbell was collecting chicken eggs in his back yard in Bundaberg, Queensland, on September 26, when he was bitten by a Coastal Taipan snake.
The three venomous bites put him into cardiac arrest. He was revived temporarily by paramedics, but was then put in an induced coma.
After two days he is now breathing on his own, his parents have said.
"Our amazingly strong little man is off ventilation and prepping for a move out of ICU and into a neurology ward as early as tomorrow," parents Brittany Cervantes and Giles Campbell wrote on a fundraising page set up for Eli.
The "little battler" was airlifted to Bundaberg Base Hospital and moved to Lady Cilento Children's Hospital in Brisbane.
He could face severe vision problems as his occipital lobe was the worst-affected by the attack, his parents said.
"We are now ready to walk this path with our little boy, the past is the past and he is changed forever. So are we," they wrote.
The fundraiser page has collected more than AU$25,000 in just over a day.
The Coastal Taipan is found in coastal regions of northern and eastern Australia, and also on the island of New Guinea. It's the largest venomous snake in Australia and has the longest fangs - up 10 13 mm long.