Monster Energy is being sued over the death of a teenager in 2015.
The father of a teenager 19-year-old American teenager Dustin Hood says the company's flagship drink caused his son's fatal cardiac arrhythmia.
According to the lawsuit, the teenager drank three-and-a-half of the large 725ml cans of energy drink, before heading onto the court to play basketball. He collapsed on the court and was rushed to hospital, where he died a short while later.
His father is suing the energy drink company for "unspecified damages". The suit notes others have suffered cardiac arrest following the "acute consumption" of Monster.
One 725ml energy drink can contains about 245mg of caffeine. That means the teenager consumed about 850mg of caffeine before heading onto the court.
The NZ Nutrition Foundation states that people shouldn't consume more than 300mg caffeine a day.