Indian teen wakes up on way to own funeral

Indian teen wakes up on way to own funeral
He appeared to have stopped moving and breathing (Getty)

An Indian teen has shocked doctors and his family after waking up on the way to his own funeral.

Seventeen-year-old Kumar Marewad dropped out of school to work as a labourer and support his family.

Then he was bitten by a stray dog a month ago. He got a bad infection, and he was taken to hospital in a critical condition.

However his health got worse, and he was put on a ventilator. Doctors told his family an infection had spread through his body and he wasn't expected to survive.

"We had decided to take Kumar home after doctors told us his chances of survival were bleak once taken off the ventilator," his brother-in-law Sharanappa Naikar told the Times of India.

Upon reaching home Kumar appeared to have stopped moving and breathing, and his family thought he had died.

They decided to take him straight to his funeral - but had hardly carried him two kilometres when Kumar opened his eyes and started moving again.

Kumar was taken back to hospital, where he remains in a critical condition on the ventilator.