Ex-friend of Kiwi accused of abducting backpacker speaks out

The dark history of the Kiwi who allegedly abducted and raped a British backpacker in Australia is being revealed.

The New Zealand-born man has been charged with four counts of rape, eight counts of assault, four counts of strangulation and two counts of deprivation of liberty after allegedly kidnapping the backpacker and subjecting her to two months of horrific treatment.

A former friend of the accused man told the MailOnline it wasn't the first time the man had behaved violently.

"I don't hang out with guys who are violent with women. I saw how he treated the Mrs that he had here before he left. He beat her up," he said.

The ex-girlfriend posted on Facebook following her breakup with the Kiwi man.

"I don't know what's worse, the fact that my ex-boyfriend **** **** cheated on me or the fact that he cheated on me with **** ****," she wrote.

"I will get you back you c*** and that starts with the world knowing what you really are. Best part is I don't even have to lie about you either. You are just a piece of s***."

It's also alleged that he was jailed for six months in 2013 after he attacked a pizza delivery driver with a plank of wood in a drug-fuelled alcohol and LSD rampage, according to The Telegraph.

Backpacker's lucky escape

The 22-year-old victim was rescued by police after she walked into a remote Queensland petrol station, bloodied and bruised.

In tears she told the assistant she couldn't pay for the fuel, unaware that her two-month ordeal was about to end.

"She was distressed. She was crying. She was really shaking... She had two black eyes, and she had marks on the side of her neck," service station owner Beverley Page said.

The woman returned to the car and drove away.

But tipped off by the petrol station manager, police stopped the vehicle.

A 22-year-old man from Cairns alleged to be her captor was found in a storage alcove inside the car.

It's thought the pair met around three months ago at a party in Cairns and began a relationship.

But when it turned sour in January, the victim was held against her will.

And as they drove south through the Queensland outback, he allegedly subjected her to two months of repeated attacks.

The man was arrested on Sunday when their car was pulled over for a routine check by police, who noticed her agitated state.

"We have potentially saved this young girl's life," Detective Inspector Paul Hart of Queensland State Police said.

"Given what's happened to her, the extent of what's happened and over the period of time, anything may have transpired.

"So we're very grateful that she was able to advise us of what was occurring at that particular time."

The woman, who is from Liverpool, has spoken to her family in the UK and is being treated for facial fractures, cuts and bruising.

ITV News / Newshub.