Norwegian mass killer Anders Behring Breivik has lost a human rights case after an appeals court overturned a lower court finding that his near-isolation in a three-room cell was inhuman.
Breivik, an anti-Muslim neo-Nazi, detonated a bomb in Oslo in July 2011 that killed eight people. He then gunned down 69 people, many of them teenagers, at a meeting of the youth wing of the then-ruling Labour Party.
"The Borgarting Court of Appeal has determined that Anders Behring Breivik is not, and has not been, subjected to torture or inhuman or degrading treatment," the court said in a statement on Wednesday.
Strict conditions for Breivik, who has no contact with other inmates and has not repented for the attacks, were justified because there was a "high risk" that he would use violence in future.
A lower Oslo court had ruled in 2016 that the conditions, including frequent strip searches, violated a ban on "inhuman or degrading treatment" under the European Convention on Human Rights.
Survivors and relatives of the 77 dead welcomed Wednesday's verdict after denouncing last year's ruling as a perversion of a Convention that starts with the sentence "everyone's right to life shall be protected by law".
Breivik is serving Norway's longest sentence, 21 years, which can be extended if he is still considered a threat.
Breivik's lawyer Oeystein Storrvik expressed surprise at the verdict and said he would appeal to Norway's Supreme Court.
The appeals court noted that Breivik can watch television and read newspapers and limited contact with other inmates was under consideration.
At a 2016 hearing, Breivik said he was feeling bad in jail, complained about cold coffee and grumbled that jail food was "worse than waterboarding".
The appeals court also upheld a finding by the lower court that restrictions on Breivik's letters and visitors were justified. Breivik's only family visitor was his mother, who gave him a hug shortly before she died in 2013.