Autistic boy paralysed after being given Spice at park

Drugs, Manchester
Harry Skillen spent seven hours "paralysed" by the drug. Photo credit: MEN Media

A 13-year-old boy has been left paralysed after being tricked into smoking synthetic marijuana by a group of youths at a playground in Manchester, his mother claims.

Sarah Skillen was shocked to find her son, who has autism and ADHD, smoking the joint at Brookdale Park.

Ms Skillen believes her son, Harry, was pressured into it and released a photo of her son in a paralysed state after being taken to hospital.

According to the Manchester Evening News, he was in a paralysed state for at least seven hours.

Ms Skillen says the synthetic marijuana, known as Spice, is easily available to youth in the area and it's worrying parents. 

"Harry's a very vulnerable kid and not usually allowed out on his own. That night he had been round at a neighbour's house and at some point had gone out," she told the Manchester Evening News.

"I was walking the dog and I saw Harry on the park with a joint in his mouth. I was screaming for him to come over to me and he ran for the hills. By the time we'd caught up with him about 10 minutes later he was having a full-on meltdown."

Ms Skillen has a warning for other parents to be careful about where their children are and what they are doing.

"It's not the first time I've heard about kids taking drugs on that park and I think something should be done," she said.

"The reason they're smoking Spice is because it's so cheap. It's not safe.

"If I hadn't found Harry he could have been paralysed on his own for seven hours."