Australian mothers accidentally feed kids dog biscuits

  • 29/08/2017
The Scooby Snacks looked like the perfect treat - but they weren't for humans.
The Scooby Snacks looked like the perfect treat - but they weren't for humans. Photo credit: Woolworths

Woolworths has apologised after putting dog treats in the snack section - leading to Aussies accidentally feeding their children dog food.

Sydney mum Tania Toomey bought the treats, which were labelled 'Scooby Snacks' and had a large image of cartoon character Scooby Doo.

Shaped like little bones, the snacks seemed like a perfect snack to pop into a child's lunchbox - which she did.

Ms Toomey posted on the supermarket giant's Facebook page after she realised she had made a horrible mistake.

"I bought these from the biscuit isle next to the Tiny Teddies at Woolies in North Strathfield [sic]," she wrote.

"I put in lunch boxes and kids came home that afternoon and said 'yuck they are disgusting'.

"On closer inspection they are DOG treats. It does say that it is pet food only - human friendly but not recommended! BE CAREFUL the store is very disorganised."

It's believed the parents confused the dog food with other snacks with similar labelling, small packets of vanilla biscuits intended for children, also emblazoned with Scooby Doo's face. It's something that's also happened in New Zealand.

Instead, the Scooby Snacks meant for dogs are advertised as supporting bone strengthening and skin- and coat-health - not likely to be an issue for young children.

A Woolworths spokesperson says the mix-up was an accident, and they've apologised to Ms Toomey.

"Woolworths can confirm that a single packet of Scooby Snacks dog biscuits was accidentally placed in the biscuit aisle at the Woolworths North Strathfield store last week and subsequently purchased by a customer.

"We can confirm that the product is stocked as intended in the pet food aisle in the stores where it's sold, with the product marked as 'Pet Food Only'.

"Store teams have had further communication this week to ensure that no packets are mistakenly placed in the wrong aisle."