Investigators offer $6.7 million in rewards for cold-case leads

Investigators offer $6.7 million in rewards for cold-case leads
Photo credit: Supplied

Victoria Police have offered rewards worth AU$6 million (NZ$6.72 million) to anyone providing information on the infamous Tynong North murders of the 1980s.

Six women, aged from their teenager years through to their 70s, were all buried within a 2km radius in Victoria scrubland, but the hunt for their killers (or killer) has since gone cold.

Now, six rewards of AU$1 million each - the largest rewards ever offered in Victoria - are available for anyone who can help solve the murders.

All the victims had their personal belongings taken from them and their killers had attempted to cover their bodies.

The first disappearance was 59-year-old Allison Rooke in May 1980, after she was last seen leaving her home to catch a bus to the shops. Her body was discovered two months later by a man walking his dog.

In August 1980, 73-year-old Bertha Miller was walking to catch a tram to church, when she disappeared. That same month, 14-year-old Catherine Headland went missing, while waiting for a bus, after visiting her boyfriend.

In October 1980, 18-year-old Ann-Marie Sargent left her mother's house in the morning to catch a bus to an employment office, but never turned up.

One month later, 34-year-old Narumol Stephenson disappeared from outside her friend's house.

The bodies of Ms Miller, Ms Headland and Ms Sargent were found in December 1980 by a group of men, who were dumping animal remains in the scrub.

Ms Stephenson was located shortly after by a man who noticed a bone sticking out of a bush.

Finally, in October 1981, 55-year-old Joy Carmel Summers was last seen at a bus stop, as she headed to the shops. Her body was found a month later.

At the time of disappearance, each victim was on foot and did not have access to a motor vehicle, with the majority intending to travel on public transport.

Victoria police say investigators have spoken to more than 2000 people in relation to the murders, but nearly four decades later, the killers are still unknown.