New York City Police say an unidentified person has made a credible rape allegation against Hollywood producer Harvey Weinstein and they are gathering evidence for a possible arrest warrant.
Reuters requests for comment from Mr Weinstein's representative and his lawyer were not immediately answered.
Deputy Chief of Detectives Robert Boyce told a news conference that the alleged victim "put forth a credible and detailed narrative".
"We have an actual case here," Mr Boyce said. He said the police department became aware of the accusation on October 25.
- Harvey Weinstein: What he's been accused of so far
- UK police investigating Harvey Weinstein scandal
- Tarantino knew about Weinstein, regrets not doing more
Mr Boyce said it was a seven-year-old case and "we have to move forward gathering evidence".
Mr Boyce said that because Mr Weinstein was out of state the police department would need a court-ordered warrant for any arrest.
A number of women have claimed that Mr Weinstein sexually harassed or assaulted them over the past three decades.
Mr Weinstein has denied having non-consensual sex with anyone. Reuters has been unable to independently confirm any of the allegations.