Exploding coconut 'sends fear' through crematorium staff

Exploding coconut 'sends fear' through crematorium staff

Mourners are being asked not to put items inside coffins after a coconut exploded, terrifying crematorium staff in the UK.

Bolton Council issued to the request after the recent exploding coconut incident, the BBC reports.

 Donna Ball, Assistant Director of Community Services, said rogue items are often placed in coffins and a "hell of an explosion can sometimes occur".

Other items placed with the deceased include mobile phones – which cause a number of problems – e-cigarettes and alcohol.

Ms Ball told the BBC: "We are asking people to be considerate regarding the items they place into coffins before the cremation process.

"Usually the funeral director will pick them up but sometimes things are slid inside peoples' pockets and they are just not picked up during the process, then when they go through the cremation process a hell of an explosion can sometimes occur".

It is not known why a coconut was placed in the coffin, but it ‘sent fear’ through the staff when it exploded.