UK man dies after getting head trapped in movie seat

A spokesman for Vue Cinema confirmed the man had died.
A spokesman for Vue Cinema confirmed the man had died. Photo credit: Supplied

A cinema-goer in the UK has died after getting his head wedged in an electric chair.

The incident took place at the Vue Cinema in Birmingham, after the man dropped his phone in between seats when the film finished, The Birmingham Mail reports. 

When the man bent down to retrieve his phone, the electric seat's footrest clamped down on his head.

He was taken to hospital after the incident - but on Tuesday, the cinema confirmed he had died.

"Following an incident which took place on Friday 9 March at our Birmingham cinema, we can confirm that a customer was taken to hospital that evening," a spokesman for Vue Cinema said. 

"We are saddened to learn that he passed away on Friday 16 March.

"A full investigation into the nature of the incident is ongoing. Our thoughts and condolences are with the family who have our full support and assistance."

Head of Environmental Health at Birmingham City Council Mark Croxford said the local council had been notified and an investigation launched into the incident.


Contact Newshub with your story tips: