Appalling hospital mistake sees Russian woman 'embalmed alive'

Ekaterina Fedyaeva, 27, reportedly died after medics accidentally put her on a formalin drip while undergoing surgery.
Ekaterina Fedyaeva, 27, reportedly died after medics accidentally put her on a formalin drip while undergoing surgery. Photo credit: 1ul.ru

A Russian woman has died after she was allegedly embalmed alive in an astounding hospital error.

Ekaterina Fedyaeva, a 27-year-old from Russia, reportedly died after medics accidentally put her on formalin drip while undergoing routine surgery in March, The Sun reports. 

Ms Fedyaeva was given a lethal dose of formaldehyde, which is normally injected into corpses to prevent them decomposing.

The procedure left Ms Fedyaeva in agony, and she suffered such terrible convulsions that she fell into a coma two days later. Soon after, she died from multiple organ failure.

Doctors had earlier used 52 different drugs to try combat the effects of the formalin drip, but they were ultimately unsuccessful.

Ms Fedyaeva's mother, Gina Baryshnikova, has accused hospital staff of gross malpractice - claiming they failed to act promptly, even when they'd realised their error. 

"People who performed the surgery already knew that they infused something wrong. They needed to take some urgent measures but they did nothing," she told The Sun. 

"For 14 hours after surgery she was living with this formalin and they did nothing."

A criminal investigation into her death has commenced, and all hospitals in the region are being audited, reports say.

Newshub.