A pilot whale has died in southern Thailand, with an autopsy revealing more than 80 bags were clogged in its stomach.
A rescue team initially found it alive, but attempts to nurse the male pilot whale back to health were ultimately unsuccessful.
During the rescue attempt, the whale reportedly vomited up five plastic bags.
Thon Thamrongnawasawat, a marine biologist and lecturer at Kasetsart University, told 7 News the bags had made it impossible for the whale to eat any nutritional food.
At least 300 marine animals die in Thai waters from plastic ingestion each year, Mr Thamrongnawasawat added.
Thailand is one of the world's biggest consumers of plastic bags, which are notorious for the adverse impact they have on marine life.
Veterinarians worked all week to keep the whale alive, but were ultimately unable to save it.