An Ohio man got the fright of his life when he found a black widow spider living in a stick of broccoli he'd just bought.
Jacob Vaughn took a video of the spider, which his mother Chandra then uploaded to Facebook.
He called the store, Kroger, which told him he was free to bring the broccoli back for a refund or replacement.
"Kroger works with growers to ensure we are always providing safe, quality food to our customers," the store said in a statement.
"We encourage customers to inspect fresh produce prior to consuming. If customers are not satisfied with their purchase they are welcome to return it for a refund or exchange".
- Huge spiders spotted in West Auckland homes
- Australians rescue massive tarantula spider from floodwaters
Cheryl Garcia of Another Chance Sanctuary in Fremont saw the video on Facebook, and stepped in to rescue the spider.
"I saw the video and I asked her if he would mind holding onto her until I could arrange an escort for her here, because I knew I wasn't going to have the time to get her. But I knew, naturally, he wanted her gone. "
Not only does she have a new home, for now, but a new name. Broccoli has a pending adoption that just got approved.
"She's unique. She's not for everybody, but she deserves a home," said Ms Garcia.
If you are bitten by a black widow, experts say to wait 15 minutes to see if she has injected venom. If so, you'll notice body pains and should go to the emergency room.
While one of the most venomous spiders found in North America, their venom isn't usually fatal. Pain can last up to 12 hours, and it can take days for the swelling to subside.
They usually eat other spiders and bugs.