A California family is crediting their pit bull with saving them from a deadly house fire.
Sasha, an eight-month-old pit bull, was spending a rare night outside in the garden when she woke owner Nana Chaichanhda by barking at the back door, KTXL reports.
"I open it and she runs in and starts barking at me like crazy and I was like, 'Okay, this is weird. This is not like her," Ms Chaichanhda said.
The dog then barrelled into Ms Chaichanhda's daughter's room and started dragging the baby off the bed by her nappy.
It was at this point Ms Chaichanhda noticed the fire raging next door that was about to spread to her house.
She quickly took the baby and evacuated. Her cousin, the other occupant of the house, was not home at the time.
The local fire brigade responded within minutes to put the fire out and flames only reached Ms Chaichanhda's attic. Despite this her home is now inhabitable and the house next door has been completely gutted from the fire.
Ms Chaichanhda believes Sasha's early warning is a large part of the reason for everybody making it out okay and hopes it changes people's minds about the breed.
"It meant a lot. I owe her everything. If it wasn't for her, I would have still been in bed and things could have taken a worse turn," she told KTXL.