Warning for dog owners after dog dies from saltwater poisoning at Florida beach

Chris Talor's dog O.G. died after drinking too much saltwater.
Chris Talor's dog O.G. died after drinking too much saltwater. Photo credit: WFLA

The dangers of taking your dog to the beach have been highlighted after an American man's Labrador Retriever died from drinking too much saltwater. 

Chris Taylor, from Florida, took O.G. to a special Florida dog beach to play and cool down in the ocean during a heatwave.

However things quickly took a turn for the worst as O.G. suffered from diarrhoea and vomiting, as well as being unable to stand. 

Mr Taylor told local Tampa television station WFLA, O.G's condition had slightly improved the next day as he was eating and drinking.

But on Wednesday, he was no longer able to eat or drink and became unresponsive.

After taking him to the vets, Mr Taylor was told O.G. had drunk too much saltwater and was slowly dying. 

His brain was severely swollen and he was fatally dehydrated.

Veterinarian Dr. Katy Meyer from Tampa Bay Emergency Veterinary Services told WFLA if dog owners want to take their dog to the beach, limit the trip to two hours, take breaks from the water every thirty minutes and have plenty of fresh water for your dog.  

Newshub.

Contact Newshub with your story tips:
news@newshub.co.nz