'In seconds the damage was done': Aussie mum's anger after toddler's horrific burns at playground

'In seconds the damage was done': Aussie mum's anger after toddler's horrific burns at playground

Warning: Images in this article may disturb some readers

A Queensland mum is holding her local council accountable after her toddler suffered serious burns at her local park.

Simone Pickering's 18-month-old daughter received second degree burns when she stood on a metal grate at their local playground.

In a lengthy Facebook post, she explained her daughter was playing at the Ipswich Park and watching her wander around with other children when she heard a deafening scream.

"Our daughter just happened to walk a short distance from where myself and family were sitting, to find herself paralysed, standing on one of these scorching hot metal plates unable to move due to the intensity of the heat below."

But the damage had already been done, and Ms Pickering endured a heartbreaking 10-minute drive to the hospital.

"Watching her tiny little body lying limp on the hospital bed with cords and tubes running everywhere crippled me."

In her post she says her daughter, even after full recovery, will never have full feeling in her feet.

What shocked her further was that hospital staff told her they admitted children for the same injury every year - so now she's directed her anger towards the council.

"Angry, that councils are aware of the issue but due to 'funding' neglect to fix it resulting in more innocent kids being hurt. Angry, that our daughter had to be the first of many more cases to come yet despite all our efforts we have no legal leg to stand on."

Her post, she hopes, will encourage awareness for other parents and put a stop to the epidemic across Queensland.

Newshub.