Five teenagers dead after fire in Polish 'escape room'

Five teenagers dead after fire in Polish 'escape room'
Photo credit: EPA/Marcin Bielecki.

Five teenage girls have died after a fire in a Polish 'escape room'.

Local media reports that the girls were found after firefighters put out the blaze on Saturday (local time).

Escape rooms are a popular game where teams work together to collect clues to get out of a locked room or building.

The Associated Press (AP) said the girls were all 15 years old and it is suspected they were celebrating a birthday.

A spokesperson for police in Koszalin, Poland, said a 25-year-old man had also been hospitalised due to the blaze and police were waiting to question him about suspected causes.

Tomasz Kubiak, a regional firefighters' spokesperson, said the bodies of the girls were found in a room adjacent to the one on fire.

Polish news agency PAP said they had learned unofficially that the girls had died from asphyxiation due to carbon monoxide from the fire leaking into their room.

Polish President Andrzej Duda said on Twitter that it was "a devastating tragedy."

"Five joyful girls have had their lives torn from them. May God take care of their parents and loved ones."

AP reported Poland's interior minister has ordered fire safety inspections to check more than 1000 escape room locations across the country.

Newshub.

Contact Newshub with your story tips:
news@newshub.co.nz