The man who drove through one of Melbourne's busiest intersections and mowed down streetwalkers has been sentenced to life in prison.
In December 2017, Saeed Noori deliberately drove through the intersection of Flinders and Elizabeth Street while about 70 pedestrians were crossing the road.
On Thursday, Supreme Court Justice Elizabeth Hollingworth ordered Noori to be jailed for a minimum of 30 years.
The 37-year-old man will be well into his 60s before he is eligible for parole.
His actions caused the death of one elderly man, and the injury of others.
He plead guilty to one charge of murder, 11 of reckless causing serious injury, and five of reckless conduct endangering life, reports The Age.
"Deliberately driving a vehicle into a crowd of people is a dreadful crime, one which undermines the rights of ordinary citizens in a civilised society to be able to go about their normal daily activities without fear of being harmed," Hollingworth told Noori.
"Your actions have horrified and traumatised many people."
- Man shot after knife attack in Melbourne - reports
- Trolley-man revealed to be homeless, says he acted on instinct
Noori had paranoid delusions the Australian Security Intelligence Organisation was monitoring him. He also believed the Australian government was mistreating Muslims, and had sympathies with the Islamic State.
He was a long-time user of methamphetamines and had previously experienced drug induced psychosis.
However, he had not used drugs for two days before the attack.
The judge found these factors to have played only a minor role in Noori's deliberate decision to accelerate along Flinders Street, and drive through the red light to mow down pedestrians.
The morning of the attack, he had organised for a technician to remove the hard drive in his computer, lied to his family about where he was going, attempted to hire a car from two separate businesses, and then stole his mother's car.