A British father has been found guilty of plotting to have his three-year-old child doused with corrosive acid.
On July 21 last year, the child was looking at some footballs at a Home Bargains store in the United Kingdom town of Worcester, when he was approached by 27-year-old Adam Cech and sprayed with acid.
- Acid attack on British toddler
- Six injured in London acid attack - reports
- UK pony affected by acid attack given second chance
While the boy was later treated by paramedics for serious burns to his arm and face, he will be scarred for life as a result of the attack.
Prosecutors found the boy's father, who was in a custody battle with his mother for the child, had enlisted five other men to assist in the plot, aimed at showing that his mother was unfit to care for him.
On Wednesday, the father and the other men were found guilty in the Worcester Crown Court of conspiring to apply a corrosive substance, and sentenced to a combined total imprisonment of 78 years.
The 40-year-old father, who cannot be named to protect the child's identity, was sentenced to 16 years in prison for his role in the incident, while Cech receives 12 years.
One woman, however, was found not guilty of being involved.
During the trial, a victim impact statement from the boy's mother described the horror of realising what had happened.
"I became hysterical. I noticed that red marks then started to develop like a snake up his arm and then reddening to his forehead," said the statement.
"Honestly, it never crossed my mind that it would be acid. When the police told me, I was absolutely devastated - I couldn't sleep for weeks and I have repeat nightmares about what happened that day.
"It shocks me to think that people could be involved with doing this to a defenceless child, and I'm glad that they have been brought to justice and will be punished for what they have done. I hope nobody ever has to go through what we have experienced."
Supt Damian Pettit from the Worcester police said: "This was a horrific attack on an innocent young boy, whose scars will prove a constant reminder of that awful day."
"I am pleased that justice has been served today and that six perpetrators will spend a combined total of 78 years in prison."
Supt Pettit said acid attacks were rare so it would be difficult for the family, the officers and the wider community to comprehend how someone could attack such a young child.
"I would like to take this opportunity to thank the [officers] for their efforts, and to thank the local and wider national community for sharing far and wide the CCTV image appeal that helped to track down those pictured."