Facebook says deletion of two years of Mark Zuckerberg's posts was 'mistake'

Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg listens while testifying before a joint Senate Judiciary and Commerce Committees hearing regarding the company s use and protection of user data, on Capitol Hill in Washington, U.S., April 10, 2018. REUTERS/Leah Millis - HP1EE4A1O7T76
Photo credit: Reuters.

Facebook says the deletion of two years of Mark Zuckerberg's public Facebook posts was an accident.

Many posts on the founder's account, including everything from the years 2007 and 2008, were deleted, according to a report by Business Insider.

The business news website said the deletion of these posts obscured details about core moments in Facebook's history.

A spokesperson for the company told AP it was unclear what exactly had been deleted, but "it was a mistake made a couple of years ago and the work required to restore them was extensive and might not have worked".

"We agree people should be able to find information about past announcements and major company news, which is why for years we've shared and archived this information publicly - first on our blog and in recent years on our Newsroom."

A post linked to in news stories in 2012 after Facebook acquired Instagram no longer appears.

And in November 2016, posts about the media and Facebook's role in the US election from Zuckerberg's public Facebook page also disappeared, reported The Verge.

The Facebook spokesperson told Business Insider that a "notes" tab had been added to the page as an archive tool for posts that may not show any more, but the news site said this was much harder to navigate than a Facebook timeline, and specific posts were hard to find.

The deletion of posts, however, makes it "much harder to parse the social network's historical record", reported Business Insider's Rob Price.

Newshub.

Contact Newshub with your story tips:
news@newshub.co.nz