Toddler electrocuted after putting phone charger in mouth

The little girl was rushed to hospital after being electrocuted by a phone charger cable.
The little girl was rushed to hospital after being electrocuted by a phone charger cable. Photo credit: Getty Images

A toddler was electrocuted in India after she put a phone charger cable in her mouth.

Two-year-old Shehvar and her mother Razia were visiting her grandmother's home in the town of Jahangirabad, the Hindu Times reports. 

On Friday (local time) Shehvar was left playing by herself. A family member had been charging their phone in the same room and later unplugged it, but left the charger plugged into the wall socket with the power switch still on.

Shehvar was playing with the long cable of the charger when she put it into her mouth. 

She was taken urgently to hospital after being electrocuted by the cable, but was pronounced dead upon arrival.

Akhilesh Pradhan, station house officer from Jahangirabad police station, told media no case had been opened into the girl's death as the family hadn't informed local police.

"However, if somebody approaches us for a complaint, it will be done according to the norms."

Electrocution from a phone charger is a rare but documented event. In 2017 a 14-year-old Vietnamese girl died after she rolled over her iPhone charging cable in her sleep.

Another teenager, a 16-year-old Malaysian boy, was electrocuted in 2018 after reportedly using headphones while his phone was charging. 

Newshub.

Contact Newshub with your story tips:
news@newshub.co.nz