UK woman warns parents after friend's baby daughter tragically suffocated by headband

A baby's foot is seen next to his mother before competing in the 2018 "Diaper Derby" crawling race, a promotion event ahead of the New York City Triathlon, in Manhattan, New York, U.S., June 29, 2018.  REUTERS/Shannon Stapleton - RC1A37EB8980
Photo credit: Reuters

A woman in the UK has shared the devastating story of her friend's baby being suffocated by a headband.

Leanne Willson says her friend lost her 14-week-old daughter after the bow headband she was wearing came down over her nose and mouth while she was sleeping.

Her mum came in to find she wasn't moving, and had died.

The death has prompted the Royal Society for the Prevention of Accidents (ROSPA) to issue a warning to parents.

"Children can easily swallow, inhale or choke on items left in their reach as they naturally grasp anything and put it in their mouths," ROSPA public health adviser Sheila Merrill told the Manchester Evening News.

"Once in their mouth they find it difficult to remove the item.

"Parents can prevent the risk of choking and suffocation by ensuring that small objects or items are kept out of reach of children under the age of three."

Wilson's post says the baby's mother wanted her to share the story to warn others.

The baby's mother was "utterly" devastated, the post says.

Newshub.

Contact Newshub with your story tips:
news@newshub.co.nz