A three-year-old girl is fighting for her life after accidentally eating an ecstasy pill she found at a playground.
The toddler and her family were holidaying on the popular Spanish party island of Ibiza when she reportedly came across the drug in a park and ingested it.
She became ill and was taken to hospital where she remains in an intensive care unit.
- MDMA is purer, more readily available than ever in New Zealand
- Police concerned by emergence of new drug sold as ecstasy
- Opinion: How a dumb law is causing dodgy drugs to thrive at NZ festivals
"Tests have confirmed it was an ecstasy tablet and investigators are working on the theory someone had dropped it in the park and the little girl mistook it for a sweet," local authorities told The Sun.
MDMA can increase body temperature and blood pressure, and a large dose could be fatal for a young child.
Investigators are speaking to her family and other witnesses who may have seen what happened.
The Russian Embassy in Spain says it is monitoring the situation.
"We are aware of the situation and are monitoring it; the consulate general keeps us informed. Russia's Honorary Consul on the Balearic Islands is now involved," the embassy noted.