UK grandfather accidentally gives hospital staff a weed cake

A cake with candles on it.
Photo credit: Getty

A UK man has accidentally given hospital staff a 'thank you' cake laced with cannabis.

The man, who has not been named, took leftovers from his grandson's birthday into the staff at Warrington Hospital on May 27, but didn't know it contained cannabis, the Daily Mail reports.

Hospital management says the staff had a lucky escape, with only one person eating the cake.

"A homemade cake was brought in to one of our wards in error by a patient's family," Warrington and Halton Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust chief nurse Kimberley Salmon-Jamieson said.

"The item was collected by Cheshire police to be tested. An internal investigation has been undertaken and we can confirm that one member of staff tried the cake, but they did not experience any effects and there was no impact on our patients."

Police confirmed to the Daily Mail the cake had been found to contain drugs during testing and was destroyed.

Officers won't be taking the incident any further, a spokesperson saying the people involved were given "strong words of advice". 

Newshub.

Contact Newshub with your story tips:
news@newshub.co.nz