UN staff killed in Benghazi explosion

A security official inspects the site where a car bomb exploded in Benghazi, Libya.
A security official inspects the site where a car bomb exploded in Benghazi, Libya. Photo credit: Reuters

A car bomb explosion in the eastern Libyan city of Benghazi has killed two United Nations staff.

The UN is trying to broker a truce in the capital Tripoli, where the eastern-based Libyan National Army (LNA) launched a surprise attack in April.

A Reuters reporter at a Benghazi hospital where casualties of the blast were taken saw a list of names of those killed on Saturday identifying them as part of the United Nations Libya mission (USIL).

LNA spokesman Ahmed Mismari told reporters the two people killed were USIL guards. He added that 10 people had been wounded, among them children.

USIL spokesman Jean El Alam said the organisation was "in the process of gathering information".

The explosion happened in front of a shopping centre and bank. At least one burned-out UN car could be seen at the scene.

The LNA has yet to advance beyond the southern suburbs of Tripoli, which is home to the internationally recognised government.

Around the time of the blast, LNA commander Khalifa Haftar announced a halt to military operations during the Muslim Eid al-Adha holiday, which lasts from Saturday until Tuesday, according to a statement from his forces in Benghazi.

On Friday the government in Tripoli said it had accepted a UN proposal for a ceasefire during the holiday period.

Reuters

 

Contact Newshub with your story tips:
news@newshub.co.nz