The US has announced a new, large deployment of forces to Saudi Arabia to help bolster the kingdom's defences after the September 14 attack on its oil facilities.
The planned deployment will include fighter squadrons, one air expeditionary wing and air defence personnel, the Pentagon says.
- Strikes on oil plants halve Saudi Arabia's output
- Oil prices set to double after Saudi Arabia attack - expert
The Pentagon said it was sending two additional Patriot batteries and one Terminal High Altitude Area Defense system.
"Taken together with other deployments, this constitutes an additional 3000 forces that have been extended or authorised within the last month," Pentagon spokesman Jonathan Hoffman said in a statement on Friday.
It was unclear whether some of the newly announced troops might replace other American forces expected to depart the region in the coming weeks or months.
The deployment is part of a series of what the US has described as defensive moves following the attack on Saudi Arabia's oil facilities last month, which rattled global energy markets and exposed major gaps in Saudi Arabia's air defences.
Washington and Riyadh have blamed the attack on Iran.
Iran has responded to previous US troop deployments this year with apprehension.
It denies responsibility for the attack on Saudi Arabia as well as attacks on oil tankers earlier this year.