Australian girl rushed to hospital after anti-psychotic medication was given to her while trick or treating

Abbey, three, with her mother, was rushed to hospital after accidentally swallowing antipsychotic medication.
Abbey, three, with her mother, was rushed to hospital after accidentally swallowing antipsychotic medication. Photo credit: Nine News Australia

A Melbourne girl was rushed to hospital while trick or treating after she accidentally swallowed medication from a zip lock bag left in her lolly bucket.

Three-year-old Abbey had been trick or treating in Bacchus Marsh, 50 kilometres west of Melbourne, when her mother, Tara, noticed she wasn't well.

The toddler was still in her Halloween costume when she arrived at hospital.

The medication is used to treat schizophrenia and bipolar and police did not say how it got into her bucket. 

Her mother believes it was deliberate, and she thought her daughter was going to die.

"She gave me the little bag with the pills in it, and I said they don't look like lollies," Tara Robe told Newshub. 

For a three-year-old it could've been a fatal dose.

"I was panicking. I didn't know what to do… I thought she was going to die," said Robe.

Police and paramedics arrived just in time. 

"There was a sense of rush from the paramedics saying to the mum "We have to go right now'" said neighbour Eva Savov-Tancev.

"As she was going into the ambulance that's just when she just - I couldn't wake her up," Robe told Newshub. 

Police are now investigating how it happened but Robe believes it was no mistake.

"I reckon someone did it  yeah, I believe they did."

Abbey is now home and healthy, her remaining treats checked many times. The toddler is now free to enjoy her Halloween goodies having survived the fright of her life.

Newshub.

 

Contact Newshub with your story tips:
news@newshub.co.nz