Dog starts fire at UK home after turning on microwave

A small house fire in Essex, UK was started by a husky, similar to the type pictured.
A small house fire in Essex, UK was started by a husky, similar to the type pictured. Photo credit: Getty Images

A dog started a small fire at its Essex home in the United Kingdom when it turned on a microwave, a fire service said.

The fire began on Monday afternoon at the Stanford-Le-Hope property after a husky turned the appliance on when food was inside it. 

The microwave was on top of a worktop in the kitchen.

The owner, who wasn't home during the incident, noticed smoke in the kitchen using a camera feed on his phone.

Watch manager at Corringham Fire Station Geoff Wheel said it was a "very strange" incident but it could've been more serious.

"When we arrived, the kitchen was filled with smoke. Firefighters ensured that the damage did not spread beyond the kitchen area - but it demonstrates that microwaves shouldn't be used to store food when they aren't in use," he said in a statement.

Wheel advised to keep microwaves free of clutter and food when not in use because animals and children can turn them on more easily than people think.

The dog was unharmed, the statement said.

Contact Newshub with your story tips:
news@newshub.co.nz