US toddler dies trying to save puppy from burning building

Loki with his parents.
Loki with his parents. Photo credit: Facebook/KD Sharp

A family in the US is in mourning after losing their young son, puppy and home in a devastating blaze.

Loki Sharp was just 23-months-old when he died trying to save his puppy from a house fire in Arkansas.

His parents Kurtis and Caitlin were trying to put out the fire themselves and calling for help. 

The pair was so distracted they lost track of the toddler, and didn't realise he had headed back into the inferno, reports 7 News.

Loki was unable to save the dog.

Kurtis posted on Facebook about the loss of his young son.

"I just wanna stop here and say never take your children for granted," he wrote.

"Cherish every waking moment with them! We love you bubba and we know your in a better place [sic]"

Kurtis was injured during the fire. 

The fire is thought to have been caused by an electrical fault, reports the Northwest Arkansas Democrat-Gazette. 

A fundraising page set up for the family has raised more than NZ$18472.

 

Contact Newshub with your story tips:
news@newshub.co.nz