A victim advocate is devastated by the "terrible" High Court ruling which quashed Cardinal George Pell's convictions for child sexual abuse.
The rare and historical ruling saw Cardinal Pell walk free from Melbourne's maximum security prison on Tuesday.
Cardinal Pell, 78, was found guilty last year of sexually abusing two teenage choir boys after a mass in a Melbourne cathedral in 1996, but only served 405 days of his six-year sentence.
But Pell who was once Australia's most powerful catholic maintained his innocence and appealed multiple times.
Now his latest appeal has set him free.
Part of the decision was due to a story the sole surviving victim told the jury that was found overly compelling by the High Court, with not enough supporting evidence.
Victim advocate Chrissie Foster says she was "mystified" by the outcome which she says was "wrong" and "unfair".
"It's so distressing its a tragic outcome for rape victims."
She says the victim who talked during the trial was completely believed by the jury and further appeals so she was devastated by the "terrible" outcome.
"The victim was believed, they were believed. Oh my goodness.. the jury believed him... the appeals believed and now it's all been turned over after everything George Pell had the best defence."
The Archbishop of Melbourne, who had visited him and prayed with Pell in jail said: "This has been an intense and difficult time for many people".
But Pell wasn't there when the media frenzy began and his supporters gathered to celebrate.
Instead, he issued a written statement saying despite suffering a serious injustice "I hold no ill will to my accuser, I do not want my acquittal to add to the hurt and bitterness so many feel."
He also thanked his supporters, family and legal team, and said he was praying for those affected by the COVID-19 pandemic.