Coronavirus: Western Australia records another community case of COVID-19

Western Australia has recorded a new community case of COVID-19.

It emerged on Saturday night that a person who visited a key Perth location of interest connected to a Victorian man who tested positive on Friday is infected with the virus. A friend of the Victorian man also tested positive on Friday.

"The person presented for a COVID-19 test [on Friday] as they had attended one of the locations visited by the confirmed COVID-19 Victorian case, and the related local case," officials said on Saturday night.

"The person is now working closely with the Department’s contact tracing team to determine public exposure sites."

Western Australia Health is now asking anyone who visited a location of interest to get tested and remain at home until they receive a negative result. 

"If you have attended a site listed as requiring 14-days quarantine, you must get tested and complete the full 14-days self-quarantine – regardless of your result," the department says.

"Even if you have not visited one of the locations, if you have symptoms, get tested and self-isolate until you receive a negative result.

"Do not be complacent. It is imperative you always follow the public health instructions."

Perth and Peel are currently in a three-day lockdown in response to the two cases detected on Friday.

Quarantine-free travel between New Zealand and Western Australia is currently paused.

The 54-year-old Victorian man who tested positive on Friday arrived in Perth from  Shanghai, China on April 3 and left hotel quarantine on April 17 after testing negative on day 12. He spent five days in Perth before returning to Melbourne on April 21.

The man stayed with a close contact in the Perth suburb of Kardinya - a woman with two children - who has now also tested positive. 

He flew back to Melbourne on April 21, travelling on Qantas flight QF778 with 257 passengers on board. Those passengers are all self-isolating and being tested in Victoria.

After being told he was a close contact of a case in the quarantine hotel, he began isolating. He then tested positive on Friday.