Scottish man jailed for 'brutal attack' on Kiwi woman who stepped in to see if his girlfriend was OK

A photo of Callum Campbell-Dunn
Callum Campbell-Dunn Photo credit: Edinburgh Courts Press Agency

A 25-year-old man who assaulted a New Zealander while on leave from a Scottish prison where he was serving a sentence for murder will spend an additional year in prison. 

According to local reports, Callum Campbell-Dunn was sentenced in 2016 to nine years in jail for attacking a 21-year-old father in the Scottish town of Dunfermline. He struck the man with a traffic cone, punched him, stomped on his head and laughed while he took photos of his victim. He had been let out of a young offenders' institution months earlier. 

In August 2019, Campbell-Dunn was let out of prison to visit his family in Edinburgh alongside his partner Megan Duffy. While out of jail, the couple argued on the city's Temple Park Crescent. 

That's when reports say Kiwi Loren McBride approached to ask if Duffy was fine. 

"Without warning, Campbell-Dunn lunged at the complainer and began to punch and kick her," TheCourier reports prosecutor Lisa Gillespie QC as saying in court last month.

"Duffy then joined in, grabbing the complainer by the hair, kicking and punching her with both accused now attacking her at the same time."

McBride was able to walk off, but Duffy followed, eventually grabbing her and throwing her to the ground before kicking and stomping on McBride. 

In the Edinburgh High Court last month, Campbell-Dunn and Duffy both admitted attacking the Kiwi.

On Thursday (local time), Campbell-Dunn was sentenced to an additional year in prison on top of his current nine-year sentence. Duffy was jailed for just over three years and must be supervised for another year upon release. 

"This was a serious assault committed against an entirely innocent and publicly-spirited young woman. She was brutally attacked," judge Lord Beckett told the court. 

The Courier reports that Duffy had also already spent time in prison for attacking police officers. 

Speaking for Campbell-Dunn on Thursday, Iain McSporran QC said the man had had a "chaotic" upbringing and was exposed to violence from a young age. He has apparently "matured greatly" since the 2016 attack and believes "prison saved his life". 

McSporran said the man had a personality disorder and was seeing a psychologist.

Duffy was said to show some remorse and accepted responsibility.