Warning - this article contains details which may distress some people.
Six members of the same family have been discovered dead in their Texas home in what police say is a murder-suicide.
Officers from the Allen Police Department were called to the house in the early hours of Monday, where they found the six bodies.
They were responding to a welfare check on behalf of a friend of a young man who lived at the home who was thought to be suicidal.
A grandparent, mother, father, and three children were found with gunshot wounds.
Sgt John Felty told KRLD-AM it appears the two sons killed their family.
"It looks like two teenage sons entered into an agreement that they were going to commit suicide and that they were going to take their family members with them," he said.
Felty said the two brothers apparently entered into a suicidal pact to end their own lives and take their family with them based on a lengthy letter posted on one of the boys' social media pages.
He added the family, believed to have immigrated from Bangladesh, had no prior history of problems at home.
The victims were 54-year-old Towhindul Islam, 55-year-old Iren Islam, 77-year-old Altafun Nessa, 19-year-olds Farbin and Farhan Towhid and 21-year-old Tanvir Towhid.
Where to find help and support:
- Shine (domestic violence) - 0508 744 633
- Women's Refuge - 0800 733 843 (0800 REFUGE)
- Need to Talk? - Call or text 1737
- What's Up - 0800 WHATS UP (0800 942 8787)
- Lifeline - 0800 543 354 or (09) 5222 999 within Auckland
- Youthline - 0800 376 633, text 234, email email@example.com or online chat
- Samaritans - 0800 726 666
- Depression Helpline - 0800 111 757
- Suicide Crisis Helpline - 0508 828 865 (0508 TAUTOKO)
- Shakti Community Council - 0800 742 584