The 13-year-old boy who was killed when the industrial bin he was sleeping in was emptied into a truck has been named.
Spencer Benbolt was sleeping in the bin in Port Lincoln, Adelaide with two other children when the garbage truck came to empty it in the early hours of Tuesday morning.
One of the other boys, a 12-year-old, managed to escape from the bin and bang on the truck driver's window to alert him to the danger but it was too late.
Benbolt and the other child - an 11-year-old - had been dumped into the truck. The 11-year-old escaped without injury but Benbolt died at the scene.
Superintendent Paul Bahr said the boys were not homeless but often spent "rough" nights away from home.
He said police had spoken with the "traumatised" surviving pair but had not been able to establish why they were sleeping in the bin.
“It’s tragic across a whole number of levels,” Bahr added.
The driver of the truck was hospitalised for shock.