Victoria's Health Department has confirmed four new cases of COVID-19 have been recorded in Melbourne's northern suburbs.
7News reported two "likely" cases were announced on Monday morning and have since been confirmed as positive cases. A further two cases have also been recorded.
Health Minister Martin Foley said the cases include a man who was tested positive for COVID-19 on May 23 after displaying symptoms of the virus, along with a male relative of his who was asymptomatic.
Two other close family contacts also returned positive test results. They are an adult woman and a preschool-aged child - who live in separate households.
"Our public health teams have been investigating the situation and continue to interview and test all of the individuals and their contacts," he said.
The new cases bring an end to an 86-day run of no community transmission in the state.
So far, two exposure sites have been identified, including a swim school the child attended and a shopping centre, ABC news reported.
Genome sequencing is now underway to determine if the cases are linked to anyone who stayed in an MIQ facility.
Chief health officer Brett Sutton pointed out that Australia is heading into winter, and the impact of an outbreak will be different compared to the summer months.
"We just need to remind ourselves that the risk is going to be there and ongoing, and the transmission potential will be greater now than it was when we spent more time outdoors when we had, you know, more embedded behaviours where we distanced better, where we wore a mask more often," he said.
"So all those behaviours are useful to remind ourselves to try and get down again, especially for this next couple of weeks ahead of us."